Experience the real Crete with a walk through one of its most picturesque cities. Chania is a kaleidoscope of different elements: ancient ruins, strong local culture and traditions, and delectable cuisine.
- Meet artisans in their workshops in an area of Chania dedicated to art and craftwork.
- Learn about the production of handmade objects that are typical to local culture.
- Put your own artistic skills to the test while learning about pottery, painting and more.
- Support local artists by shopping for authentic, handmade souvenirs by local people.
- Enjoy a traditional breakfast of coffee and pastry at a beloved local spot.
- Adults 12+ years old
- Children 6-11 years old
- Infants 0-5 years old
- Private Tour Starting price per person
Enjoy This Shopping Tour in Chania with a Local Guide
Get to know the artistic side of Chania on this shopping tour that skips over mass-produced goods and digs up authentic finds. We take you into local workshops, where you can meet with the artisans making jewelry, ceramics, wooden pieces, and much more. Then try your own artistic skills with a mini-lesson in one of the studios!
Local impact — How you help the local community by joining this tour:
- Your tour visits locally run businesses, such as a ceramic artisan, which help to preserve traditional crafts for the next generation.
- Your tour also supports the creativity of Greece’s new generation of artisans by visiting the stores of young Greek designers.
- By promoting the work of local artists and their enterprises, your tour works to support them financially.
Inclusions: Local English-speaking guide, transportation during the tour, traditional local snack (bougatsa), coffee
Exclusions: Additional food and drinks, souvenirs and personal shopping, tips/gratuities for your guide
- Duration: 4 hours
- Meeting point: Municipal Market of Chania (Agora). Your guide will be standing in front of the market building. GPS coordinates: 35.514602, 24.020319 – View on Google Maps.
- Find the exact meeting point with what3words: ///forever.snoring.fancy
- Starting time: 9.00 am
- Ending point: Municipal Market of Chania
We’ll start our Chania tour the local way: with a coffee and a taste of one of the most traditional pastries of Crete in the most traditional place in town. We’ll enjoy a bit of bougatsa (a cheese-filled pastry) in a shop that’s been loved by locals for years.
Fuelled up after our breakfast, we’ll drive in a private vehicle for about 15 minutes to reach our destination — a unique part of town that’s completely dedicated to the work of local artisans.
You’ll visit several of the artisans who live and work in this area and learn about the importance and local impact that crafts such as pottery and clay have had in the history of the island.
You’ll also get to test out your own artistic skills at a ceramics workshop! Talk to the local artist about their techniques and browse through their unique pieces. You’ll learn tips and tricks for finding the best and most authentic souvenirs, so the next time you’re out shopping in Chania, you’ll know what to look for.
We’ll uncover various works such as religious paintings, handmade jewelry, and unique objects made of wood, glass, or other more unusual materials.
By the end of this Chania shopping tour, you’ll have a better understanding of the authentic crafts of Crete and how they represent the island’s local culture.
Dress standard: Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
Your trip: For your Urban Adventure, you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people.
Confirmation of booking: If you have your voucher, your booking is confirmed. We’ll see you at the start point. Get in touch if you have any concerns or require more information via the email address or phone number (business hours only) on your voucher.
Closure of sites: There are several workshops in the village, so if any of the workshops we normally visit are closed, we’ll still be able to take you to an alternate but equally wonderful shop.
Child policy: This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select ‘child’ when booking. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge. Please inform us at the time of booking if you’ll be bringing a child under the age of 6. You can do so in the special request box on the checkout page.