Experience the real Crete with a walk through one of its most picturesque cities. Chania is a kaleidoscope of different elements: ancient ruins, strong local culture and traditions, and delectable cuisine.
- Experience real Cretan food at eight authentic stops away from the tourist crowds.
- Become a cheese–tasting expert by learning how to spot the best local cheeses.
- Savour Heraklion’s bougatsa, a must-taste for any visitor to the city, and find out why organic Cretan olive oil is one of the best oils in the world.
- Enjoy a glass of local wine and learn the process from harvest to bottle.
- Learn about Greek coffee and see it brewed the traditional way.
- Adults 12+ years old
- Children 6-11 years old
- Infant 0-5 years old
- Private Tour Starting price per person
Crete Is a Foodies’ Paradise, and Heraklion is the Capital!
Come experience the city like a local and explore the neighborhoods where residents live, eat, and shop, all while snacking away on the best local treats on the island.
Local impact — How you help the local community by joining this tour:
- By joining this tour, you are supporting a 100-year-old local bakery so it can continue thriving and serving authentic local delicacies.
- All the food you sample during the tour is locally sourced from villages, farmers, and stock-breeders of Crete.
- On this tour, you will visit 100% local, family-owned businesses and meet a local greengrocer, butcher, fishmonger, and winemaker who sell their own and Cretan-only products.
Inclusions: Local English-speaking guide, food and beverage samples as indicated in the itinerary (coffee, rusks, olives, cheese, pastries, traditional sweets, local wine/spirit tasting, meats). The inclusions are more than enough that you can skip lunch! (Vegetarian options are available, but please let us know at the time of booking.)
Exclusions: Additional food and drinks, items of a personal nature, tips/gratuities for your guide
- Duration: 4 hours
- Meeting point: Eleftherias Square, in the city center. Eleftherias Square is the main square in Heraklion.
- Find the exact meeting point with what3words: ///firmly.training.began
- Starting time: 12.00 pm
- Ending point: Venetian Port of Heraklion
Join us on this food and wine tour of Heraklion that will treat your taste buds to authentic Cretan dishes and local wines! During our three-hour walk, we’ll introduce you to the best food that Heraklion has to offer. The Cretan cuisine is one of the healthiest and tastiest diets in the world and the base of the Mediterranean diet, and you’ll find out how Crete’s culture, history, and geography have all helped to create the region’s unique cuisine. On this Crete food tour, we’ll take a stroll through Heraklion’s local neighbourhoods as we share with you our passion for food and discuss local culinary traditions.
We’ll start our Heraklion tour with a traditional Greek coffee, also known as ellinikós kafés. Drinking coffee is a daily ritual in Greece, and as we sip our freshly brewed dark liquid, you’ll learn all about the history of coffee in the country.
At our next stop, you’ll savour Heraklion’s famous bougatsa, a must-taste for any visitor to the city. Bougatsa is a pastry consisting of semolina custard, cheese, or minced meat filling between layers of phyllo. Best of all, you’re going to taste the best ones in town, as the owners of this spot have been mastering their bougatsa technique since 1922!
Leaving the historical centre, we’ll then visit a local market to chat with vendors and learn about their products. You’ll get to sample olives, rusks, and cheese — and we’ll even teach you to how to maximise your enjoyment and appreciation of cheese (yes, it is possible to love it even more than you already do). And of course, no food tour of Crete would be complete without tasting the island’s famous olive oil, so that’s next on our agenda!
After all these tastings, we’ll then sit down for a local meat dish — or if you’re brave enough for fried snails, you can sample a dish that’s loved by most locals!
We’ll then finish up our Heraklion food tour by trying some local wines from a family-run shop. Wine has a long history on Crete, having been made on the island since the Bronze Age.
Dress standard: Please wear comfortable shoes for walking. During the summer months, don’t forget your sunglasses!
Your trip: For your Urban Adventure, you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people.
Confirmation of booking: If you have your voucher, your booking is confirmed. We’ll see you at the start point. Get in touch if you have any concerns or require more information via the email address or phone number (business hours only) on your voucher.
Child policy: This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select ‘child’ when booking. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge. Please inform us at the time of booking if you’ll be bringing a child under the age of 6. You can do so in the special request box on the checkout page.
This tour can be customised to cater for dietary needs at your request. Please notify us if you have any allergies or other dietary requests when you book. You can do this in the ‘Additional information’ box at checkout.
Mr. Andreas R. from Switzerland travelled on 18 Oct 2019:
Eva is a very good guide. She knows a lot and is very open. I think she was the best guide we ever had on any tour. Big thanks. An unforgettable experience.