Experience the real Crete with a walk through one of its most picturesque cities. Chania is a kaleidoscope of different elements: ancient ruins, strong local culture and traditions, and delectable cuisine.
- Experience real Cretan food, from classic kalitsounia to freshly baked baklava.
- Learn how Crete’s culinary traditions have led to one of the healthiest diets in the world.
- Participate in a wine tasting workshop and food pairing in one of the oldest Venetian cellars in town.
- Learn about Greek coffee and see it brewed the traditional way on sand.
- Enjoy a glass of local beer or ouzo, and a signature raki cocktail at a hidden local spot.
- Adults 18+ years old
- Private Tour Starting price per person
Taste Your Way Through the Old City of Rethymnon
Discover the old city of Rethymnon on this evening food tour that uncovers the hidden spots not found in guidebooks. Eat and drink the best products of the region, talk to local vendors, and find out why Crete is a foodies’ paradise!
Local impact — How you help the local community by joining this tour:
- By joining this tour, you are supporting a 100-year-old local bakery so it can continue thriving and serving authentic local delicacies.
- On this tour, you experience the centuries-old tradition of brewing Greek coffee on sand by visiting a traditional kafeneion and sipping its fresh coffee.
- On this tour, you also visit a historic place where you participate in a high-quality local wine tasting session while pairing your wine with fresh local products from regional farms and vineyards.
- Your tour supports the creativity of Greece’s new generation of mixologists by taking you to bars to taste signature cocktails and other liquors that are based on traditional spirits and recipes.
Inclusions: Local English-speaking guide, food and beverage samples as indicated in the itinerary (coffee, pastries, traditional sweets, wine/spirit tasting, locally produced ice cream, locally brewed beer, and meze platter). The inclusions are more than enough so you can skip dinner! (Vegetarian options are available, but please let us know at the time of booking.)
Exclusions: Additional food and drinks, items of a personal nature, tips/gratuities for your local guide
- Duration: 4 hours
- Meeting point: At the Square of the Four Martyrs in the centre of modern Rethymnon (in front of the Four Martyrs Church). Your guide will be holding a Crete Urban Adventures sign.
- Find the exact meeting point with what3words: ///indeed.offline.cobras
- Starting time: 6.00 pm
- Ending point: Venetian Harbour of Rethymnon
Join a local on this unique walk around the old town of Rethymnon while discovering the culinary treasures of the region.
During our four-hour Crete tour, we will introduce you to the best food and wines that Rethymnon has to offer! Cretan cuisine is one of the healthiest and tastiest diets in the world. It is the base of the Mediterranean diet, and Crete’s culture, history, and geography have all helped to create the island’s unique dishes.
We’ll stroll through the oldest neighbourhoods in Rethymnon, while sharing with you our passion for local food and traditions. We’ll walk along alleys and laneways before kicking off our culinary delights with a freshly brewed Greek coffee made the traditional way… on sand!
While walking along narrow laneways in the heart of the old city, you’ll get to savour Crete’s famous kalitsounia, one of the most classic and delicious Cretan appetisers. Kalitsounia are pastry pies filled with cheese and spinach, fennel, or wild local greens. Best of all, you’re going to taste one at a 100-year-old bakery that’s a local favourite!
Our next stop will be the jewel of the crown, as it is one of Rethymnon’s oldest Venetian buildings, part of a Dominican monastery that was built in the 14th century. Here, in a 700-year-old stone wine cellar, you will participate in a one-of-a-kind wine and food tasting workshop. You’ll learn all about the varieties of Greek grapes and wines (you’ll even receive a personalised folder with the history of Cretan wines), and get to taste red, white, rosé, and dessert wines, all accompanied by paired food plates.
Leaving the cellar, we’ll continue our walk through the old town and visit a local sweets shop. If you have a sustainable sweet tooth, then we’ve got you covered, as this patisserie creates sweet delights using only local, organic products. How about some baklava with ice cream made from sheep’s milk from a local farm? Trust us, you don’t know how tasty ice cream can be until you’ve tried some with us!
Next up on this Rethymnon tour, we’re going to sample some locally brewed beer and meze. But instead of heading to a tavern, we’re going to snack in a local art venue where you can chat with the artist and find out how Crete never fails to inspire artistic hearts.
Last but not least, you’ll try a signature cocktail made just for you, starring our liquid royalty, raki. Also known as tsikoudia, raki is an alcoholic beverage — a fragrant, grape-based pomace brandy of Crete.
Your culinary tour of Rethymnon will sadly finish here, but we know you will definitely want to come back for more!
Dress standard: Please wear comfortable walking shoes (no flip-flops!). The dress code for the venues is smart-casual. No beachwear allowed.
Your trip: For your Urban Adventure, you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people.
Confirmation of booking: If you have your voucher, your booking is confirmed. We’ll see you at the start point. Get in touch if you have any concerns or require more information via the email address or phone number (business hours only) on your voucher.
Child policy: Travellers under 18 years of age are not permitted on this tour.
This tour can be customised to cater for dietary needs at your request. Please notify us if you have any allergies or other dietary requests when you book. You can do this in the ‘Additional information’ box at checkout.