Experience the real Crete with a walk through one of its most picturesque cities. Chania is a kaleidoscope of different elements: ancient ruins, strong local culture and traditions, and delectable cuisine.
- Learn the secrets of traditional Greek coffee at one of the oldest roasteries in town.
- Walk through the oldest open-air market in the city.
- Shop for T-shirts, scarves, bags, and handmade jewels, all made by Greek craftsmen and inspired by museum artifacts.
- Sample olive oil-based cosmetics and learn how olive oil benefits our body.
- Browse modern artwork from Greek designers.
- Visit a ceramics workshop and watch how a local artisan creates pieces inspired by Minoan models.
- Adults 12+ years old
- Children 6-11 years old
- Infants 0-5 years old
Enjoy a Shopping Tour in Heraklion with a Local Guide
Crete’s history goes back for more than 5,000 years, and pieces of that heritage can be found in the island’s artwork, food, and products — but you have to know where to look to find the best treasures! On this Heraklion tour, we take you to shops and galleries you’d never find on your own and connect you with the people it’d be impossible to meet without a local guide by your side. From traditional to modern designs, the surprises you find will make for the ultimate shopping experience!
Local impact — How you help the local community by joining this tour:
- All of the stores you visit on your tour are 100% locally owned and run.
- By joining this tour, you are supporting a 100-year-old local bakery started by refugees so it can continue thriving and serving authentic local delicacies.
- By visiting a local expert and learning about the traditional ways of roasting Greek coffee, you are helping to uphold local cultural traditions.
- Your tour visits locally run businesses, such as a ceramic artisan, which helps to preserve traditional crafts for the next generation.
- Your tour also supports the creativity of Greece’s new generation of artisans by visiting stores of young Greek designers.
Inclusions: Local English-speaking guide, traditional local sweet (bougatsa), Greek coffee, homemade ice cream
Exclusions: Additional food and drinks, souvenirs and personal shopping, tips/gratuities for your guide
- Duration: 3.5 hours
- Meeting point: Morosini Fountain (Lion’s Fountain — it’s one of the most well-known fountains of Heraklion). Platia Eleftheriou Venizelou, Heraklion 71202. View on Google Maps.
- Find the exact meeting point with what3words: ///latest.towns.prelude
- Starting time: 5.30 pm
- Ending point: 25is Avgoustou Street (the main city street)
We will start our Heraklion tour by indulging in a bite of bougatsa, the most traditional sweet in the city, and we’ll enjoy it at a historic shop that has been in operation since 1922. From the owners’ mouths, you’ll hear the family story of how their business started after their grandparents came as refugees to Heraklion from Smyrna, in Asia Minor.
With our taste buds satisfied, we will follow the smell of aromatic Greek coffee to see it roasted the traditional way. The owner will explain the different techniques and varieties — so you can bring home not only the coffee but also the recipe for how to brew it yourself!
Next up, we’ll walk through the open-air market, which locals know as ‘the old market’ or simply ‘the market’ (Agora). This used to be the central market of the city, with numerous stores on each side of the pedestrian street. Nowadays, in addition to groceries and dairy stalls, you can find many shops selling souvenirs, spices, leather items and accessories, plus many restaurants.
Strolling further into the city, we will explore more modern shopping options. We’ll stop at a one-of-a-kind shop that sells T-shirts, scarves, sarongs/pareo, bags and handmade jewels, all made by Greek craftsmen and inspired by museum artifacts and ancient motifs.
On the same street, we will admire artwork-styled souvenirs from Greek designers. Take your time to check out the wide range of exquisite, 100% Greek products, from handmade diaries to games to decorative objects.
Our next stop on your Heraklion shopping tour honours Crete’s beloved olive tree. The best-known product of the olive tree is, of course, olive oil, for which Crete is so famous. You will be able to browse for souvenirs like cosmetics made from olive oil and oil tree wood crafts.
After all that shopping — and talking about olive oil — let’s go for a refreshing stop of homemade ice cream… made with olive oil, of course! It is dairy-free, sugar-free and lactose- and gluten-free, and very delicious!
Last but not least, we will visit a ceramic artisan in his workshop. Inspired by Minoan models mixed with modern abstract art, he creates eco-friendly, non-toxic pieces right in front of you. Feeling artistic? He’ll let you try your hand at creating your own unique piece to bring back home.
Your tour will end here, but if you’d like more inspiration for shopping or eating in the city, be sure to ask your local guide for some tips.
Dress standard: Please wear comfortable shoes for walking, and bring a hat and sunscreen in the summer months.
Your trip: For your Urban Adventure, you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people.
Confirmation of booking: If you have your voucher, your booking is confirmed. We’ll see you at the start point. Get in touch if you have any concerns or require more information via the email address or phone number (business hours only) on your voucher.
Child policy: This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select ‘child’ when booking. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge. Please inform us at the time of booking if you’ll be bringing a child under the age of 6. You can do so in the special request box on the checkout page.
This tour can be customised to accommodate dietary restrictions such as vegan, gluten-free, and allergies. Please notify us in advance of any dietary needs. You can do so in the ‘Additional request’ box at checkout or by emailing us at [email protected].