Experience the real Crete with a walk through one of its most picturesque cities. Chania is a kaleidoscope of different elements: ancient ruins, strong local culture and traditions, and delectable cuisine.
- Discover how a local group is working to make businesses on Crete more sustainable.
- Experience Cretan culture through its unique flavors and local treasures.
- Learn about Greece’s ‘liquid gold’ (olive oil) while tasting different samples.
- Participate in a scavenger hunt around the grounds and search for local herbs used in foods and medicines.
- Try five different local wine varietals while enjoying organic cheese and meat.
- Thirty percent of your tour costs go to supporting small-scale rural businesses in local communities.
Let Us Introduce You to All the Treasures of Crete
From pure olive oil to organic wines, locally produced cheese to a unique smoked apaki, take your own private tour! We’re heading to a training centre dedicated to sustainability by supporting small-scale family businesses. Taste some treats, learn about local flora, and pick up a few tips for making your everyday life more environmentally friendly.
This tour is priced for a minimum group size of two travellers. A solo traveller may still book this private experience but will be charged the base rate for two travellers.
Local impact — How you help the local community by joining this tour:
- This tour is run in collaboration with The European Sustainability Academy, a training centre dedicated to resource-efficiency and environmental responsibility by supporting small-scale family businesses.
- By joining this tour, you help support small-scale rural businesses in local communities financially.
- All of the food you sample during your tour is sourced from local villages, farmers, and stock-breeders of Crete.
Inclusions: Local English-speaking guide, transportation to and from the venue, five different wine tastings, olive oil tasting, finger foods, fresh orange juice for children.
Exclusions: Additional food and drinks, souvenirs or personal shopping, tips/gratuities for your driver and guide
- Duration: 4 hours
- Meeting point: Chania Municipal Market (the public market is located at the centre of the city, on Central Market Square). Our guide will be standing outside, on the left.
- Find the exact meeting point with what3words: ///forever.snoring.fancy
- Starting time: 6.00 pm
- Ending point: Hotels on the route from the village of Drapanos to Chania Municipal Market
On this island that has been inhabited before Minoan times, the architecture varies from town to town, all due to Crete’s long history and the many occupations it’s had from foreign cultures. But tonight, we’re going to host you in a venue that’s the first of its kind in Europe! On this private Crete tour, you will be heading to a sustainable facility that is environmentally responsible and resource-efficient.
Located at Drapanos Cape, Drapanos village will be your stomping ground as we get acquainted with the treasures of Crete. Drapanos is a small, traditional village, high up on the cape in the Apokoronas region in Chania. On your way, you’ll get to admire the beautiful coast on one side and the rugged White Mountains on the other.
Once we arrive, you’ll learn all about the flora of the area and how local products are used. Crete is home to a rich variety of plant life, including some 1,893 documented plant species, of which 159 are endemic to the island.
Sustainability is not a new term for Cretans. The Cretan population has long lived in harmony with the environment, using resources responsibly — and we’re going to learn more about it at the European Sustainability Academy. This center provides training and development programs for businesses to learn sustainable practices and corporate social responsibility. Here we’ll have the chance to chat about alternative sustainable ideas that we can apply to our everyday lives — straight from those who are experts in the field!
You’ll get the grounds to yourself and you’ll see, feel, smell, touch, and taste all the richness of this ancient land and learn how local resources are used in everything from food to medicine. You’ll even participate in a scavenger hunt and trace the herbs around the venue.
But wait! With all that talk of fresh ingredients, you’re going to want to taste some of the goods, right? We’ll chat with a knowledgeable sommelier who will teach you the basics of wine tasting before we dive deeper into exploring the local varieties — with a glass in your hand, of course. We’ll also honor that world-famous Cretan diet with a lesson in the health benefits of organic olive oil and a few insider tips on how you can distinguish a good olive oil from a not-so-great version. We’ll pair all that with a few dishes, all starring local ingredients that will tantalize your senses!
Upon leaving the academy, you’ll have a much richer understanding of Cretan culture while also having helped small rural businesses to thrive.
Dress standard: Please wear comfortable shoes and dress appropriately for the weather.
Confirmation of booking: If you have your voucher, your booking is confirmed. We’ll see you at the start point. Get in touch if you have any concerns or require more information via the email address or phone number (business hours only) on your voucher.
Additional Information: For last minute bookings, please call us at 698 678 0970.
Child policy: This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select the ‘child’ when booking. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge. Please inform us at the time of booking if you’ll be bringing a child under the age of 6. You can do so in the special request box on the checkout page.