Experience the real Crete with a walk through one of its most picturesque cities. Chania is a kaleidoscope of different elements: ancient ruins, strong local culture and traditions, and delectable cuisine.
- Learn how ancient Greeks used the stars for mythology and to predict upcoming seasons.
- Explore the night sky with telescopes while our resident astronomer points out different constellations and planets.
- Indulge in mouthwatering recipes slow cooked in traditional Minoan ceramic pots.
- Visit a local awarded family-run winery for a 4 glass local wine tasting
- Thirty percent of your tour costs go to supporting small-scale rural businesses in local communities.
- This tour is priced for a minimum group size of two travellers. A solo traveller may still book this private experience but will be charged the base rate for two travellers.
- This tour is priced for two travellers.
- From :
- € 330 € 330
Dive into Ancient Greek Mythology, Astronomy and Gastronomy
Do you know your Zeus from your zodiac? Dive into ancient Greek mythology and astronomy (along with some ancient recipes) on your own private star-studded, food-fueled adventure! Crete is one of the best places for stargazing, and we’re going to pair the sky with our stomach as we learn to read the constellations before digging into a traditional Minoan meal. Best of all, it’s all for good, supporting a local winery
This tour is priced for a minimum group size of two travelers. A solo traveler may still book this private experience but will be charged the base rate for two travelers.
Local impact — How you help the local community by joining this tour:
- Your tour is run in collaboration with The European Sustainability Academy, a training centre dedicated to resource-efficiency and environmental responsibility by supporting small-scale family businesses.
- By joining this tour, you help support small-scale rural businesses in local communities financially.
- All of the food you sample during your tour is sourced from local villages, farmers, and stock-breeders of Crete.
Inclusions: Local English-speaking guide, transportation to and from the venue, three-course dinner, 4 glasses of wine/wine tasting (fresh orange juice for children)
Exclusions: Additional food and drinks, souvenirs or personal shopping, tips/gratuities for your driver and guide
- Duration: 4 hours
- Meeting point: Pick up from your accommodation
- Starting time: 7.30 pm
- Ending point: Your accommodation
Crete isn’t just beautiful by day — it’s also gorgeous by night! And we’re going to soak it all up on this private evening tour that doesn’t look out over the water, but up into the sky.
On this Crete tour, we’ll go stargazing and search out constellations and the Milky Way, with our own personal astronomer who will show you how to seek out stars through a telescope and with the naked eye. Don’t worry, you don’t need any knowledge of the sky — this tour is for all levels, from wannabe astronomers to experienced sky scanners!
We’ll pick you up just after sunset from your accommodation, and drive to a family-owned awarded winery in the Apokoronas region.
Once we arrive, we’ll have a tour in the courtyard of the winery, the botanical garden, and then to the production and storage area of the wines, to learn all the secrets of production and bottling. Then have a tasting of 5 different wines accompanied by delicious Cretan rusks and olives from their garden.
With our astronomer, we will travel back in time to the Mythology of the constellations that are connected to the wine. From Dionysos to Ikarion and Stafylos, we weave with the thread of mythology the constellations of the summer sky. Weather permitting we will observe planets like bright red Mars, Saturn – the lord of the rings, and other beautiful treasures of the night sky through a powerful telescope.
Our Astronomer will explain what we’re seeing when we look at the stars, what a constellation is, how to recognise them, and how to read a sky map. You’ll learn about the ancient cultures that used the stars in their mythologies, and how the night sky would be read to predict upcoming seasons.
Your intergalactic experience will end with a mouthwatering dinner under the stars, slow-cooked in ceramic pots just as Cretans did in ancient times. We’ll dig into authentic Cretan dishes (both meat and vegetarian options) featuring locally farmed products as we discuss ancient Greek mythology and its connection to the sky above (after all, most of the constellations with which we’re familiar come from ancient Greece!). We’ll finish it all up with a delicious dessert before leading you back to your hotel.
Dress standard: Please wear comfortable shoes and dress appropriately for the weather.
Confirmation of booking: If you have your voucher, your booking is confirmed. We’ll see you at the start point. Get in touch if you have any concerns or require more information via the email address or phone number (business hours only) on your voucher.
Additional information: For last minute bookings, please call us at 698 678 0970.
Child policy: This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select ‘child’ when booking. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge. Please inform us at the time of booking if you’ll be bringing a child under the age of 6. You can do so in the special request box on the checkout page.