Experience the real Crete with a walk through one of its most picturesque cities. Chania is a kaleidoscope of different elements: ancient ruins, strong local culture and traditions, and delectable cuisine.
- Navigate the labyrinth of Venetian and Ottoman streets like a local.
- Visit local craftsmen and artisans as they work in their workshops.
- Learn about different local wines at a unique wine tasting.
- Sample unique Cretan flavours like traditional koulouri, Greek coffee, Cretan pastries, and cheese and olives.
- Wander through layers of history and cultural influences, listening to tales, myths, and legends.
- Adults 12+ years old
- Children 6-11 years old
- Infants 0-5 years old
- Private Tour Starting price per person
Conquer the Historic City of Rethymnon
Hear tales of previous conquerors like the Byzantines, Venetians, and pirates (for real), and trace the footsteps of aristocrats, sultans, and warriors as you walk the winding streets of this fascinating city. See the colors and taste the flavors that only locals know!
Local impact — How you help the local community by joining this tour:
- This tour supports local artisans such as a traditional instrument maker, a wood craftsman, and a leather bag maker. In promoting their work and their enterprises, this tour works to support them financially.
- By joining this tour, you meet a phyllo maker in the last remaining workshop of Rethymnon that produces the main ingredient for baklava following the old traditional process.
- All the food you sample during the tour is sourced from local villages, farmers, and stock-breeders of Crete.
- On this tour, you visit a 100% local family-owned restaurant that serves traditional Cretan dishes.
Inclusions: Local English-speaking guide, local food and beverage samples, coffee or soft drink
Exclusions: Additional food and drink, items of a personal nature, tips/gratuities for your local guide
- Duration: 4 hours
- Meeting point: The Square of the Four Martyrs in the center of modern Rethymnon (in front of the Four Martyrs Church).
- Find the exact meeting point with what3words: ///indeed.offline.cobras
- Starting time: 9.30 am
- Ending point: Fortezza, the Venetian fortress in Rethymnon, near the Venetian Port.
Go beyond the guidebook and get to know the real Crete! You could read pages of history, but they won’t tell you the stories of Rethymnon like we’ll tell you — that’s a task best left up to locals. This walking tour of the old town of Rethymnon will show you the city the way locals see it. From the classic historic sites to the local craftsmen and vendors that make Rethymnon the city is, we’ll show you everything you need to understand the city the way the locals do.
Given Rethymnon’s long, rich thousand-or-so years of history, it’s only appropriate that we kick things off with a bit of this history. The city began to grow after it was conquered by the Venetians, evidence of which can be spotted throughout the city.
We will start our day with a freshly brewed Greek coffee and learn how the different conquerors influenced the island’s culinary traditions. We also read your future at a cup reading attempt!
From there, we’ll wind our way through Sabbionara, entering the old Ottoman district. Known for its impressive door frames and mix of histories, we’ll walk by mosques and Catholic churches, alongside Venetian mansions and temples turned into mosques, and find out how all these have influenced Cretan music by visiting an artisan that still makes handmade musical instruments.
Next, it’s time to discover Crete through its incredible flavours. Learn the secrets of the famous Cretan diet, sampling local bites such as traditional koulouri, a sesame seeded bread ring (similar to Turkish simit), and cheese and olives (naturally), and of course learning why Cretan olive oil is considered one of the best in the world by tasting it.
Moving on, we’ll continue our personal conquest of Rethymnon by venturing through the most noteworthy streets of the old city, checking out Instagram photo stops and shops selling authentic local souvenirs. We will walk you into a secret garden to sip some local wine (which has been cultivated here since 1600 B.C.!).
It’s here that we’ll end our walking tour of Rethymnon, and it’s the perfect place to continue your walk through the city or enjoy the beautiful waterfront views. Your guide will be more than happy to make recommendations for what else you can do in the city, especially where to grab more food!
Dress standard: As this is a walking tour, we advise you to wear comfortable walking shoes, and of course, bring a photo camera as Rethymnon will amaze you! During the summer, don’t forget your sunglasses.
Your trip: For your Urban Adventure, you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people.
Confirmation of booking: If you have your voucher, your booking is confirmed. We’ll see you at the start point. Get in touch if you have any concerns or require more information via the email address or phone number (business hours only) on your voucher.
Child policy: This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select ‘child’ when booking. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge. Please inform us at the time of booking if you’ll be bringing a child under the age of 6. You can do so in the special request box on the checkout page.
Mr. Kerry P. from United Kingdom travelled on 24 Sep 2017:
The guide was well informed, friendly, enthusiastic and had excellent English – could not have been better!