Experience the real Crete with a walk through one of its most picturesque cities. Chania is a kaleidoscope of different elements: ancient ruins, strong local culture and traditions, and delectable cuisine.
- Learn about the traditional way of life on Crete.
- Help make wine during harvest season, from picking the grapes to stomping them!
- Tantalise your tastebuds with local recipes based on wine.
- Enjoy a glass or more of local wines and learn about the local varieties from harvest to bottling.
- Participate in a hands-on cooking class in a picturesque mountaintop village.
- Adults 12+ years old
- Children 6-11 years old
- Infants 0-5 years old
- Private Tour Starting price per person
From Stomp to Sip in Crete!
Love wine? Want to be a farmer for a day and get hands-on experience in a vineyard? Willing to get your feet wet and red in a roll-up-your-pants grape stomp?! Even if you don’t like physical labor, you can still enjoy the fruits of the grape harvest! Grab this opportunity for a once-in-a-lifetime experience off the beaten path on Crete.
Local impact — How you help the local community by joining this tour:
- Your tour promotes rural tourism, which supports deep-rooted traditions and local economies that don’t generally benefit from tourism.
- On your tour, you also join a local family at their vineyard, where you practice traditional wine-making methods.
- As part of your tour, you enjoy a farm-to-table organic meal made from fresh, seasonal products following traditional recipes and old ways of cooking.
Inclusions: Local English-speaking guide, food and beverage samples as indicated in the itinerary (coffee, rusks, olives and cheese, a three-course traditional Cretan meal, house wines, fresh orange juice for the children, traditional sweets). (A vegetarian meal option is available.)
Exclusions: Additional food and drink, items of a personal nature, tips/gratuities for your guide
- Duration: 8 hours
- Meeting point: There are two meeting points — please double-check the meeting point in your departure city.
- Chania: Chania Municipal Market at 8:15 am
- Rethymnon: Square of the Four Martyrs in the centre of Rethymnon at 9:30 am
- Find the exact meeting point with what3words: ///forever.snoring.fancy
- Starting time: 8.15 am
- Ending point: Chania Municipal Market. Alternatively, we can drop off any tour participants whose hotels are along the route from Rethymnon back to the Chania Municipal Market.
Another summer is coming to an end, which means it’s time for the grape harvest! Join us on our food, wine, and harvest tour at a village off the beaten path, and become a farmer for the day.
One of the best ways to explore the heart of Crete away from the tourist centres is to mingle with the locals, and what better way to do this than by participating in an ancient task?
You’ll tour the island, get to harvest and stomp grapes, and sample olives and cheeses, all while working in a family vineyard. You’ll also devour an organic meal, prepare sweets with wine-based recipes, and finish off your day with a bag of farm goodies to bring home! It’s a celebration for the whole family!
We’ll start our day with a traditional Greek coffee before arriving at the hilltop village and family-owned business. Along the way, your guide will point out the landmarks, but they mostly entertain you with local stories of the area.
Then it’s time to feel the passion and excitement of winemaking! You’ll join the family in the vineyard, where you’ll gain a deeper understanding of Greek wine culture, learn about the history of wine on Crete, and discover the local varieties. You’ll practice traditional winemaking methods while turning your feet purple with the ancient method of maceration: wine stomping!
You’ll also get to appreciate locally farmed organic products with a mouthwatering meal, paired with house wines, of course.
Then wander around an ancient Minoan site or pick herbs before rolling up your sleeves again — but this time to check your cooking skills as we help you to bake your own sweets based on wine recipes!
Enjoy this innovative experience and take home a bag of local goods such as fresh fruit and vegetables from the farm.
Dress standard: As this is a nature tour, we advise you to wear comfortable walking shoes and bring a pair of flip-flops with you. Don’t forget your sunglasses, a hat, and a camera, of course!
Your trip: For your Urban Adventure, you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people.
Confirmation of booking: If you have your voucher, your booking is confirmed. We’ll see you at the start point. Get in touch if you have any concerns or require more information via the email address or phone number (business hours only) on your voucher.
Additional information: Please state your meal option (meat/veggie) upon booking.
Child policy: This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select ‘child’ when booking. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge. Please inform us at the time of booking if you’ll be bringing a child under the age of 6. You can do so in the special request box on the checkout page.
Dietary restrictions such as allergies, intolerances, and vegetarian/vegan diets can be accommodated upon request. You can do this in the ‘Additional information’ box at checkout.